This week has been super busy so I’m behind on doing my practices
and making my entries (again).
I admit I’m having some difficulties with this class, mostly
because it has given me permission to explore my mind and between this class
and my pastor giving me constant confirmation about what I’m reading is even more
frightening. I feel as if the path that
I am suppose to be on in being revealed to me when before I felt like I was walking
in the dark. To me seeing and knowing
what’s in front of me is more freighting than stumbling around in a dark
rom.
My pastor has us meditating (reading the bible or listening
to religious music) 2 days. He’s calling
it the 80/20 rule 80 for the world and 20 for God. We give God 20 percent of our time and use
the other 80 as we see fit. Gradually we’re to work up to 100 percent for
God. Other people in my congregation
may not have got the same message that I got but to me it served as confirmation
that of our reading last week. The
reason why this conformation for me is so important is because when I first
started reading about the metaphysical and became fascinated by Eastern
Religions and practices, my very religious friends and not so religious friends
call me a devil worshiper and told me I was going straight to hell. Now I understand that sometimes even our
Pastors and others fear what they do not understand and their fear causes them
to attempt to hold us back. Even though
I call myself a Christian, I can’t help but look at other religions and see the
commonality in them all and I can see that through the years religious documents
have been edited to meet the needs of the time and to suit the culture that was
doing the editing.
The Bible say’s “Love thy neighbor as thy self” which means
to show loving kindness towards everyone around you including your enemies. The Loving kindness exercise was interesting
I wish that the audio was a little better and the loops were a little smoother
but that was just the distraction my mind focused on at first to keep me from
focusing on the exercise. Once I was able to push that aside and
concentrate on the exercise, I thought that the exercise really didn’t mean
much but as I started writing I felt a wonderful sense of peace come over me,
and my shoulders which by 5:00pm are usually pulled up past my ears because of
stress were relaxed. So my conclusion would
be that the exercise was very successful. I wish that I would have started it
earlier so that I could have had 5 days of observation to see how it really affected
my life. I’m going to add it to my MP3
player and do the meditation when I wake up and before I study daily for the
next two weeks.
I don’t recommend things to people anymore especially if
they are not on the same level as I am because of previous reactions to my strange
ways but If I were speaking to a colleague who has experience with meditation yes
I would recommend it.
A mental workout is teaching your mind to think in different
ways and fosters psychological growth.
Studies have shown that people who pray, meditate and focus on more than
just themselves and their situations are happier and healthier.
I think that I am in the beginning stages of implementing
mental workouts in my daily life.
Meditate, if you can’t meditate by yourself there are guided meditations
just make sure they are from trusted sources because when the veil between the conscious
and subconscious is lifted, you become venerable to whatever is suggested.
Terri,
ReplyDeleteI was truly moved by your post, and although I once thought that it was ok to put God on the 20% (which is WAY better than 0 HA) over the last year I have made it to the 100% mark. I can stand and say that I put God before my husband and my children, and after I made that bold statement in church one day, it seems that everything else just started falling in place.
It is a great goal to get to, and I have faith that you will get there and find your way. It is hard for someone struggling or a young Christian to find the answers, and the cool thing is my meditation is prayer. Prayer for the wisdom to show me the right way, the peace and understanding along the way and many areas of my life are definitely on auto-pilot now because I no longer “think or worry” about them.
Sorry to hear that someone thought you had strange ways, in some manner we all are, so you take some and you leave the rest in the dog pile they chose to stay in! I was taught to love one another, I don’t love sin and a lot of people hate to hurt people’s feelings but we can still love and care for the people but not their actions. Don’t give up!
Karen