Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Unit 7 Blog

1.          Complete the Meeting Aesclepius mp3 (located in the Doc Sharing area). Describe your meditative practices for the week and discuss the experience. Explain how mindfulness or meditation has fostered an increase in your psychological or spiritual wellness. How can you continue to apply these practices in your life to foster greater health and wellness?
I really enjoyed this practice.  I imagined my vision of Aesclepius healing my back which has really been bothering me and my knees. The first time I listened to it, I had a hard time staying in the moment but I did it again as was really pleased with the result.  My back is not hurting for the first time in days! This was truly a positive growth experience. Of course, I think having faith that these things were being healed had a lot to do with it.  I will be using this practice more frequently.   
2.          Describe the saying: "One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself" (p.477). How does this apply to the health and wellness professional? Do you have an obligation to your clients to be developing your health psychologically, physically, and spiritually? Why or why not? How can you implement psychological and spiritual growth in your personal life?
A lot of people say those that can’t “teach” but I don’t think that that is the case.  I think you have to have the experience for yourself before you can help or tell someone else about it.   I had a doctor tell me that I needed to lose weight and I might have been a little more receptive to the idea if he himself wasn’t 300+ lbs.  If you’re in a position to lead then you must also set the example.

1 comment:

  1. Terri,

    Great blog entry this week! I'm in full agreement with you when you say that having faith in a system has a lot to do with how it works for you in the long run. Even still, I'm very happy for you that your back is doing so much better. Can't beat that!

    I also got a good laugh out of that health care provider telling you to lose weight when he himself weighed in at close to 300 pounds. That's one of those moments where you just look at a guy like, "Really?" Hmph! Ha!

    Well done!

    Thanks,

    James Banks

    ReplyDelete